Welcome to the Mount Lemmon online SCVP training page
As the Sonoran Desert warms, more patrollers are needed in the Mt. Lemmon area because visitor numbers also dramatically increase at higher elevation. By using the SCVP Online Training, you will learn about safety and recreation in the Mt. Lemmon area. You will also learn how to apply and/or modify many of the concepts from your early mentored training and Orientation.
The following links to documents and presentations will take you to the SCVP website, Member Area, and Coronado National Forest web pages. These self-study components must be completed if you choose the optional Boots-on-the-Ground (BOTG) training. BOTG training is designed as a Mt. Lemmon mentoring experience. Please contact SCVP Vice President, Maggie White, for details.
I. SAFETY TRAINING COMPONENTS:
1. Monsoon Season Safety http://monsoonsafety.org
2. Desert & Heat Hiking Safety Heat Hiking Safety
3. Also refer to Heat Safety cards available at VC and some trailheads
4. Respect & Understand the Wildlife Safety around Wildlife
5. Know before you go: Safety in Fire Season and Restrictions Guidelines. Include the following:
6. Reporting Emergencies and Non-Emergencies Who to Call for Issues or Emergencies
7. All Forest Closures and Weather (Santa Catalina District- Only)
II. AREA AND ACTIVITIES INFORMATION COMPONENTS:
Since the Burn Scar damage due to the Bighorn Fire, patrollers should always refer to, and carry with them the latest District Closure Order and status map of trails. The following standard maps are provided for reference only and DO NOT reflect closures.
7. Santa Catalinas topographical map such as the Green Trails map
The 9-18-2020 Closure Order lists closed Developed Recreation Sites. Advise visitors to visit Recreation.gov or the Coronado News & Events page for current information. Please follow these links to the 2020-2021 Coronado National Forest Seasonal Closures Order.
III. TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE :
Take the 18-question quiz, and follow up on answer details, using provided links. Please note that this quiz does not reflect the current status or closures.